Thursday, August 29, 2024

July 2024 Books

♥ The Friday Afternoon Club ¹ by Griffin Dunne - This book was spectacular and I wish it was longer and went even more in depth. Ever since seeing Dominick Dunne's documentary After the Party I have been so envious of Griffin's little sister, Dominique Dunne because she was so lucky to have two brothers and a father that completely and utterly adored her. I know that Griffin had to discuss her death, but what I genuinely loved about this book was getting to know her and Ellen (Mrs. Dunne) and Alex (Griffin's brother) and of course, about Griffin himself. There were so many hilarious stories that had me cracking up and falling more in love with the entire Dunne family all over again. I will most certainly be seeking out a real copy of the book and also listening to it all over again.
* Catching the Big Fish ¹ by David Lynch - I know I've said this before but I really think I need to force myself to meditate and definitely to look seriously in to Transcendental Meditation. I need all the help I can get. 

Life Is a Gift ¹ by Tony Bennett - I've had the physical book for years but knew it'd be another few before I got around to it so I gave the audiobook a try. Joe Mantegna narrates, but where I loved his reading of Puzo's The Godfather, this one just felt over the top. Any of Tony's achievements were said as if it was the greatest thing to ever happen. This rang false because if I learned anything from Mr. Bennett's first memoir, the man is humble to the core. Glad I have the physical book so that maybe down the line I'll pick it up and read it in Tony's voice. 

Warren the 13th and the Thirteen Year Curse by Tania del Rio & beautifully illustrated by Will Staehle - I absolutely adored this series and daydream of them one day turning each book into a short series on one of the streaming networks. This one, about our beloved Warren turning thirteen and things going very wrong right from the start was fantastic, with all the old favourites from the previous two books plus a gaggle of new ones. I loved getting sucked in to the World of Warren and following on his adventures, missteps, and especially his lucky breaks. 

Narwhal's Sweet Tooth by  - I saw this at Reads in Phoenixville and it was too cute to pass up. Little did I know it would deal with serious dental issues, of which I am all too familiar. It was hilarious and adorable as hell with a lovely message. I really need to get more of the books in this series.


¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: