Monday, July 8, 2024

Dispatches from Elsewhere

Having a crap memory sure does come in handy sometimes. I had originally binged this unique and existential series in February of last year. I'm sure the reason I didn't blog about it was because that February I wanted to post something each day that was based around Black History Month. Fast forward to a year and a half later and I forgot all but the basic plot-line, which allowed me to experience it all over again like new. It was thrilling to see so many familiar locations in Philly showcased as the series' backdrop; places like Front Street in Fishtown under the El right where Goldie Falafel is, Logan Circle fountain, Pat's in South Philly, PAFA, and Philadelphia Magic Gardens, to name a few. The four leads plus Richard E. Grant (adore that man!) worked flawlessly together, each character with such completely different personalities, yet all complementing one another in effortless performances. 






Re-watching this I felt kinda sad that so many things in my life are experienced solo. No one listens to the music I like or watches the TV shows or movies I watch; no one reads the books I'm into, and especially, no one is interested in what I have to say about anything. Most times it's just people smiling and nodding politely when I excitedly tell them something. I'm desperate for deep meaningful conversations. I'm starved for connection. I think that's why I was so bananas-lu-lu when Wayne and Kay and Bella and Sean all watched Mr. Inbetween. It was the first time I was able to share the excitement I had over something and have it reflected back. We were all equally hooked on the show and it made me feel connected to each of them. I wish I had someone in my life that I could talk to about Dispatches from Elsewhere. It was so utterly profound and odd and beautiful.

No comments: