Saturday, April 24, 2021

Red Lentil Dahl

I shocked the hell out of myself with this one. I am utter crap in the kitchen but this recipe turned out really well and gave me some confidence to try out more. It was time consuming and I had to call sister-in-law Mary to find out how in the hell you bring food to a boil (you turn the heat up real high til ya get angry bubbles then you turn it down a bit if it calls to "simmer")


Ingredients:
1½ cup dry red lentils (rinsed)
1 large carrots coined (thin-ish)
1 small bell pepper (I used red and chopped it in lil' cubes.)
1 large purple onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic (I converted to 4 tsp chopped garlic from a jar.)
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
½ tbsp olive oil
3 cup veggie broth
1 cup So Delicious original unsweetened coconut milk (I used this rather than the canned full fat coc. milk)
1½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
⅓ red pepper flakes
salt and pep to taste
½ tbsp sugar (I used turbinado/raw sugar.)

Steps:
• In a big ole pot heat oil and saute onions 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
• Add ginger, garlic, carrots, and bell pep.
• Next toss in all spices and sugar plus lentils and veggie broth, bringing to a boil.
• Simmer for 10 minutes.
• Add the coconut milk and cook 5 more minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness.
• Season with the salt and pep then serve with rice and naan!

(Original recipe kidnapped from Ela Vegan - the website is a nightmare - endless pop ups and ads everywhere. It should serve 6 and calories were 302ish per serving.)

No comments: