Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Family Ties

In my quest for a new old series to watch I discovered that my local library has most of the seasons for Family Ties, a childhood favourite. I wasn't sure how it would have aged, so I came back to it with low expectations (but fingers crossed that it was as fun as I remembered). I just finished the first season and it's still really good! I love the relationship between Elyse and Steven. Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross are so effortless in their portrayal of the parents that are still pretty mad for one another. Oh, and all three of the kids are fantastic. Yes, Mallory is a typical 1980s teenage girl; she's isn't academic, is boy crazy and loves fashion, but Justine Bateman packs a lot in to a character that could be very one dimensional. Michael J. Fox was a big crush in my younger years and he gets so much out of Alex, one of the most original teenagers ever written. Tina Yothers was closest to my age when the show was on and I always liked her, especially in later seasons when she was in a band. I still remember thinking she was so cool and it gave me hope that my dorky childhood self could one day be as rad and popular as Jennifer Keaton. I already have season two on hold at the library and hope it's available by the weekend for more binge-watching! 

(photo kidnapped from sitcomsonline)

No comments: