Friday, March 17, 2023

Ten Days of Irish Cinema

I usually do 17 days of watching Irish films and TV series in March but Black History Month took a real toll on me and I was not interested in another project. By March 8th I was feeling the need to see Dublin again and decided to start with something new that seemed on the lighter side. I went with Anjelica Huston's Agnes Browne.

• Agnes Browne - Really great show with a standout performance from director and star Anjelica Huston. 
(photo kidnapped from tvguide)

• Pixie - This film was recommended to me by Uncle Alan last Spring. Unique film with gorgeous scenery and fine acting. Colm Meaney in an apron was my fave bit. 
(photo kidnapped from imdb)

• Love/Hate - Not a single character in the show to root for or like in the least. That made it hard to stay interested in and see the series through. It was okay, but the drug and criminal lifestyle is so not my thing.

• Derry Girls - This show never ever gets old. 

• Inside I'm Racing - I first saw this short film on a flight back from Dublin on Ryan Air. It was wonderful and then a few years back I saw it on Amazon Prime. It wasn't free this month, but the rental was only two bucks so how could I not give it another look? It was beautifully done and I wish that more short films were readily available. What's the feckin' point of making a film and then no one is able to see it?? It's the story of a young man with autism who's bananas for cars and racing. His family takes him, all decked out in his racing kit, to the track to see the cars in action. His sister takes her eyes off him for a bit and he gets in one of the race-cars and takes off. It brought me to tears every time I watched it. Just a great, great film.
(photo kidnapped from imdb)

• The 8th

• The General - Another effortlessly flawless performance from Brendan Gleeson as Martin Cahill.
(photo kidnapped from imdb)

• Harry Wild - I saw this show on Hoopla in November mainly because my neighbour from Dublin, Michael James Ford, is in an episode. It's a really good series with familiar faces and especially the glimpses of one of my fave places. Jane Seymour is wonderful as Harry and I can't wait for series 2!
(photo kidnapped from irishmirror)

• The Outcasts - This one I discovered because my other neighbour in Dublin, Bairbre Ní Chaoimh, co-stars. Check it out on rarefilmm.

• Ondine - I had never seen this film about a woman caught in a fisherman's net who is suspected of being a selkie. I thoroughly enjoyed it until the baddie came in. But I powered through and it had a good ending. Another singular film by Neil Jordan.
(photo kidnapped from sobrosnetwork)

• Bonus: As Luck Would Have It - Tonight Mum and I rewatched this Hallmark movie with that cutie patootie Allen Leech. It was one of the better Hallmark's with gorgeous shots of my favourite island.
(photo kidnapped from thesilverpetticoatreview)

No comments: