Monday, January 30, 2023

January 2023 Books

♥ A Heart That Works ¹ by Rob Delaney - I knew of Rob Delaney from Catastrophe and his appearances on some Brit panel shows, like Big Fat Quiz of the Year. Oh and his hilarious stand up show Jackie. I read his previous memoir in July 2021 and YouTubed him soon after to see some interviews. I came across one he did with Russell Howard where he spoke (beautifully) about his ongoing (never-ending) grief from the loss of his son, Henry. (I've seen pix of this kid on Delaney's IG page and oh my goodness - if ever there was a puddle of ooey-gooey cuteness and sunbeams, it was wee Master Henry.) I don't have kids, even though I'd say 45% of my friends are under the age of 11, so it's a strange memoir for me to pick up, but I love real life stories good and bad and at the end of the day, this is an important book that needed to be written. What I did get out of it is a deeper appreciation for Delaney. I always feel that men really don't care about their kids. Yeah, they love them and provide for them and do the stuff they need to because it's their job, but my perspective on men and fathers has really changed at seeing just how truly devastated he was when his son passed away. I bought the audiobook when it was released but I plan on picking up a physical copy since all profits of the book are donated to children's charities Rainbow Trust and Noah's Ark


Heart of Darkness ¹ by Joseph Conrad - Branagh's narration is sensational but the story was not my cuppa.

* Murder at the Breakers ¹ by Alyssa Maxwell - I bought a copy of this at a second hand shop when Bella and I were in Newport and added it to the list of books I needed to read this year. So I started 2023 off with a cheat - I listened to the audiobook version. It was really good! I'm looking to check out others in the Gilded Newport Mystery series since the lead girl appears in others. Just a nice light read, which is exactly what I needed during a rough month.

* The Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene - In keeping with light reading I cracked open the third Nancy Drew book. So far all of the ones I've read that were penned by Mildred Wirt Benson are fantastic. This one was another page-turner!

*The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolynn Keene - Another great Nancy Drew Mystery! The best part about these books is that whenever Nancy gets herself in a real pickle, I know that she will get out of it safe and sound. Loads of drama but always with a happy ending. Just what I need.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: