Tuesday, August 31, 2021

July 2021 Books

* Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage. ¹ by Rob Delaney - This crackpot had me in absolute howls of laughter. He was sometimes kinda crass but all in all, I would totes listen to this again because he is just so damn funny.

* Pictures in My Head ¹ by Gabriel Byrne - I could listen to this man speak for days

Brat ¹ by Andrew McCarthy - I started this book excited to learn more about McCarthy and his experiences in so many great films and life in the 80s spotlight but I left it feeling like he was kinda bitter. 

♥ The Ice Monster ¹ by David Walliams - The last two Walliams books I had read (Awful Auntie and The World's Worst Teachers) just didn't thrill me like so many of his other stories had. This one though? Adorable. I am so glad that I queued this up after McCarthy's book. It was fresh and fun and I loved it.

♥ The Clue in the Jewel Box by Carolyn Keene - This book was so good I didn't want it to end. I'm sad to learn that Carolyn Keene isn't real and that the books were written by a bunch of different people. That said, this one was written by Mildred Benson and it seems like all the Nancy Drew books that I have read were written by her so I can at least seek out more of the ones by Ms. Benson. I could follow the story like a movie playing out in my mind, it was that well written. 
 
* Who Was Ida B. Wells? ¹ by Sarah Fabiny - This book gave a good glimpse into Ms. Wells' life and I will be looking for a more in-depth account of her life. 
¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: