Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February Flicks

This month was a real stinkeroo for movies. Seemed like every one that I watched was worse than the one before. There were a couple films that were okay, or at best, pretty good, but all in all it was a crummy month.

- Autumn Sonata - This film made me realise that, try as I might, I am just not an intellectual.

- Ashby - Another recommendation from former co-worker, Evan. It was okay. The lead kid was annoying as fuck, but in a realistic way that made him slightly tolerable.

- The Law - Gina Lollobrigida is stunning, for sure, but I can't stand dubbed films.

Giant Mechanical Man - After three disappointments I needed a pick-me-up. This film always delivers.

- Amy - I had high hopes that were quickly dashed by this dull documentary that portrayed an interesting person as a being rather boring, which in truth, I doubt she was in the least.

- Obscene - Oh my dear holy Lord, another craptastic documentary? I didn't even bother finishing it. Ugh...

- Closer to the Moon - Not fabulous, or even original - the premise, yes, the execution of the story, no - and sadly, not even riveting, but Mark Strong sure was gorgeous...

- Blessed is the Match - FINALLY, a decent documentary. Loved seeing Hannah Senesh's photographs and hearing her lovely poems and diary entries. Seemed like such an extraordinary yet ordinary girl.

- A Walk in the Woods - I had low expectations and the gal at the library who always recognises me said, "I saw this the other night. It was good. Not great, but good." She was spot on. It was fun for my rainy Saturday afternoon. Nick Nolte was the perfect Katz. No one else could have played him.

- Man from U.N.C.L.E. - I could hardly make it through the previews before the film started. They were all comic book related films, which are so ten years ago. I mean, Supergirl? It looked dreadful. I was five minutes into the film and the dialogue, style, and mannerisms that each line were spoken made it seem like they were regurgitated from hundreds of similar films. Then I noted the director as I dropped the film into the library return box and thought, "So that's why..."

- Red Army - Could have been an interesting film but the main guy that was interviewed was so painfully arrogant that I wound up loathing every minute I spent watching it and hoping he would become human. Nope, he only got worse.

- The OH in Ohio - Cute and quirky with a stellar performance by Danny DeVito. Just adored his character. That scene outside the restaurant? So endearing...

- Grey Gardens - See more here.

- Return to Me - This is one of my all time favourite films. It's totally a feel-good movie with a superb cast. I absolutely love the dynamic between Carroll O'Connor and Robert Loggia. They were so effortless in their performances as brother-in-laws that ran an Irish Italian restaurant in Chicago. If you are ever looking for a sweet, romantic, funny, and heart-warming film for a Saturday afternoon, Return to Me is it.
 
- People, Places, Things - Finally a fabulous flick for February! Not sure where I heard about this but I'm so glad I checked it out. Fresh and unique and so many laugh-out-loud moments that I wasn't expecting. A great film to end the month of disappointments.

- See What I'm Saying - Having long been fascinated with sign language and the deaf community, this documentary about deaf artists and performers was so interesting and right up my alley. The best part was the deaf rock band's name - Beethoven's Nightmare. I mean, how freakin' cool is that?

No comments: