Sunday, January 25, 2015

NYC with the Boys

Yesterday morning I picked up Bishop and Pax at 9:20. I drove us to the Hamilton train station and we took the 11:05 to Penn Station, arriving at 12:30.

 
 

Once we arrived in the city and reached the street, Pax told us his mother's advice to him as a young man, "If you have to walk more than two blocks, take a cab." So we marched right over to the taxi stand. Ten dollars later we were at The Circle in the Square Theatre and ready to see Hugh Jackman in The River. The theatre was small, intimate and charming, and not a bad seat in the house. The play was good. (Not great.) I thought Hugh was excellent and I think he's so underrated as an actor. He's extremely authentic and convincing and comes across as such a genuine and sweet man. I completely adore him. The first woman in the play, Cush Jumbo, was also good, but I still wasn't wrapped up in the show. The premise that Hugh is portraying a man looking for the perfect catch; the big fish that fits into his life and completes him, was interesting, but the dialogue didn't really wow me. What did impress me was leaving the theatre and seeing Mr. Jackman off to the side, signing autographs and smiling for photos. Still that classy guy I remember from outside The Imperial Theatre after The Boy from Oz over ten years ago.

 
 
 

The best part was spending the day with my bestie and his fab hubby. Pax and I rarely get much one on one time and so it was just really nice to hang out and chat. He's a great conversationalist and super easy to be around. Daddy Pax and I had such fun singing New York, New York from On the Town all day long. New York, New York, a helluva town, the Bronx is up, but the Battery's down! The people ride in a hole in the groun' - New York, New York!!!! Bishop just rolled his eyes at us.


None of us are big New York fans (Same York, as Bishop calls it), but it was still such fun to take a NYC cab - my first since 1986 - and go from the station to the theatre to the station and then home. No dealing with crowds and sidewalk traffic. Just get in to the city, see the play and then get the hell out. All in all, a pretty damn wonderful day.


No comments: