Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Old Westmont

It isn't possible for me to drive down Haddon Ave and see the old Westmont Theatre and not daydream about buying it and completely restoring it. Bring it back to its former glory and then some. Show old movies in digital and some in 35mm plus art house films and indie features. Have trilogy afternoons on Saturdays where we show Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. It's so depressing to see that building with such potential just sit there, but it makes for some fabulous daydream fodder. Maybe someday when I make my millions...I'll be the gal handing out tickets or serving the fresh buttery popcorn!

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

I was taken there several times as a kid and I recall my cousin and I saw EXCALIBUR there in 1981. Also, I saw Cheryl Wheeler live there around 1999 along with Patty Larkin, Cliff Eberhardt and John Gorka. A lovely old theatre. I do believe though it was placed on the register of historic buildings in the last few years. Thankfully.

Star said...

CHERYL WHEELER!!! oh you lucky fella, you. i had heard that the theatre is safe - that it won't be torn down, which is wonderful - but i'd still like to see it up and running. you know the first movie i'd play would be Casablanca...