Tuesday, August 25, 2026

If this body...


I'm sure I saw this on Insta earlier this year, but I can't really be sure. It made me pause and really think. I genuinely love my body, although it is actively decaying and there's way too much of it at the moment. I appreciate how I can still walk, though not run, and my knees still creak and click, that I can wake up in discomfort sometimes, but rarely in pain, and how after fifty years, this body still manages to keep me alive. If I saw me walking down the street, I'm sure I wouldn't even notice me, but if I were on a park bench in lovely St. Stephen's Green, on a grey Irish afternoon, people-watching, and I saw my current body walk past, would I still see everything that's wrong? The big belly, the baggy jeans that make me look blobbier, oversized button down shirt in dull colours so no one notices me, a face with splotchy skin and giant Eraserhead grey hair, dark circles under my eyes, too many chins, and tobacco stained teeth. What would I think? Honestly, I'm really not sure. I don't have a body that anyone would envy or covet as their own, but I wouldn't hate it because as much as I'd like to change and improve this body, I really do love it. I love it for all the good things it's done for me and continues to do for me. So, I wouldn't hate it, but I don't think I'd be all that impressed by it. 

No comments: