Friday, September 29, 2023

August 2023 Books of the Month

* Rememberings by Sinéad O'Connor ¹ - After her death was reported I looked her up on Wikipedia to see the cause of death or whatever. That led me down a rabbit hole which led me to locate her recording of her excellent memoir. I loved Nothing Compares 2 U when it came out but didn't know anything else about her and had no idea why she tore up a photo of the then pope. Now I know that she was protesting the church's view that raping babies and children is completely acceptable. Why did so many people get angry about tearing up a photograph instead of being angry at a man that is supposedly god's representative here on earth who covered up atrocities carried out on children? I"m pretty certain that if god exists, they look down upon abusing children. Learning more about this brilliant woman, her childhood, political views, beliefs, songwriting, and struggles was something I wish I'd known about when she was alive. Alas, twas not to be.

* The Good Life by Tony Bennett

* The Apology ¹ by V - This was an extremely difficult listen, although superbly narrated by Edoardo Ballerini. Writing the apology letter you wish to have received from your abuser had to have been an incredibly cathartic process. Absolutely brilliant.

* Pollyanna ¹ by Eleanor H. Porter - I've loved the film version since I was a child and the book was equally as wonderful.

* The Clue of the Broken Locket by Carolyn Keene - Another fun Nancy Drew mystery with her chums Bess and George.

♥♥ The Goliath Bone ¹ by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins

Murder Never Knocks ¹ by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: