Friday, September 8, 2023

Triflin' & Dabblin' - A Closer Look

This delightful mix was created just for me on the 4th of August 2004 by Cerpts himself. Recently I re-found the laminated selected liner notes. They deserve to be posted.



Track One: East of the Sun (West of the Moon) by Sarah Vaughan
Picture a bright-eyed young dew-drop of a Rickster in April of 1990, innocent and full of vim, turning on the radio and listening to NPR news. Suddenly they announce that the Divine Miss Sarah Vaughan has died. After a retrospective telling of her career, they play this song in its entirety. 
This is the song that kick-started my love of Sassy. The way her voice soars around and through each vocal line is spine-tingling! This is from the cd "Sarah Vaughan in Hi-Fi" from the best available recording.

Track Two: My Sugar is So Refined by Johnny Mercer
During World War II, most of America's greatest performers were asked to record exclusive songs to be given to soldiers on the front lines. These 78's were called V-Discs and were never released to the general public. This whimsical tune from one of the 20th century's greatest songwriters is one of two that appear on this special Cerpts CD.

Track Three: The Intro and The Outro by The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Those wacky zany Brits The Bonzo Dog Band featured members including the insane Vivian Stanshall, Legs Larry Smith and frequent Monty Python collaborator Neil Innes. This track is taken from their album "Gorilla" and is a sort-of parody of Vivian Stanshall's non-comedic appearance on Mike Oldfield's 1973 album "Tubular Bells" in which Stanshall introduces each instrument in a solemnly-intoned voice.

Track Four: I'm Hurting Inside (Alternate Take) by Bob Marley
Hey doancha be jookin' me up dee middel, mon! Dis heeyah be a alternative version of Lisa*s mose favourite Robert Nesta Marley song, mon. It be kyinda a big band easy skankin' version wit de horns and junk and stuff like that there. Interestin', mon, dontcha tink? Dem kyant deny dat!

Track Five: No Moon At All by Nana Mouskouri
Something of an all-star session--including producer Quincy Jones, conductor Torrie Zito, and sound engineer Phil Ramone--Nana Mouskouri's 1962 US debut presents the international star performing selections from the Great American Songbook. In phrasing and intonation, Mouskouri shows the influence of her jazz models Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday, yet her Greek accent, as well as her classical and opera vocal training, not to mention only having one vocal chord, make for an utterly distinctive approach

Track Six: Friendly Advice by Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders
Here is the legendary sketch performed by Nobel Peace Prize Winners French & Saunders at the 1985 Comic Relief Concert. YESSSSSSSS....it IS from my record. You'll just have to suffer through it. And that's as loud as I can get it, too. Sue me! Sue me! Shoot bullets through me! Anyway, this is Dawn French trying to explain "Having It Off!" to Jennifer with results that leave a bit to be desired. Todger!

Track Seven: Where Will the Dimple Be? by Rosemary Clooney
Yes, this is ALSO from a record. A 45 yet. It's from the Cerpts CD "Scratched Up Cerpts" by yours truly and it's from an old 45 that I've had since I was a kid. It's another one of those 50's novelty songs that they forced Rosie to sing and she probably hated, but we all love them anyway. That really low voice singing along with her is the great Thurl Ravenscroft, still alive after all these years, who did millions of voice work and is STILL the voice of Tony the Tiger. Funnily enough, I just found out this song is available on the CD pictured to the left entitled "Date With the King". It can even be ordered at Borders. Oops.

Track Eight: Goodnight Moon by Shivaree
I got it from the soundtrack to "Kill Bill Vol. 2" but it originally appeared on the CD "I Oughtta Give You a Shot in the Head...". "...for Making Me Live in This Dump," that is. Led by the quirky and very appealing voice of Ambrosia Parsley, this slow jazz/sultry swing act is a walking example of new inventiveness on familiar musical themes. It reminds me of Eartha Kitt crossed with the Addams Family.

Track Nine: This Bitter Earth by Dinah Washington
I love this song. I love this song. The first time I really heard this song was on the drive to Aunt Bertie's Soul Food Restaurant in Oaklyn, NJ. Bishop was driving, Rama was shotgun and I was in the back seat listening to a CD mix made by Bishop. This song came on that I wasn't familiar with and Bish said "I love this song".  And consequently, now I love this song.

Track Ten: 7 Seconds by Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry
This song is destined to be nominated by myself for a 2004 Penguin Award for Best Duet. I first heard the song when Youssou N'Dour performed it with Annie Lennox live at the Nelson Mandela 26664 AIDS Benefit concert and immediately fell in love with it. This original world music hit version is even better! Co-written with Neneh Cherry (Eagle-Eye's Sis), this enigmatic song brings the tragedy of racism home with the line: "And when a child is born into this world it has no concept of the tone, the skin he's living in." Until somebody points it out, that is. Sad, but true.

Track Eleven: Don't Fence Me In by The Frank and Joe Show
This is undoubtedly one of the most fun CDs of the year and it's actually in a listening station! The Frank and Joe Show is a jazz duo that just released an album of cover songs called "33 ⅓" with wacky yet musically solid renditions of songs ranging from Besame Mucho (with guest vocalist Jane Monheit) to Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)" and from "The Sheik of Araby" (with guest vocalist Dr. John) to a frenetic jazz version of the Spider-Man cartoon theme. This Cole Porter song features guest vocalist Jane Siegel.

Track Twelve: Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens by Louis Jordan
Louis Jordan was the bridge between big band swing and rock and roll music. His hoppin' Tympany Five cut such scorching tracks as "Saturday Night Fish Fry", "Caldonia" and the song I've chosen for this CD which is among a handful of Jordan favourites. Louis actually cut two versions of this song: one slower than this. However, I've chosen the faster version which is totally boogie woogie and ALMOST pure rock and roll. A huge influence on all the early rockers who came after him.

Track Thirteen: Ugly Chile by Johnny Mercer
This is the song my mother sang to me when I was a wee little ghoul. One day, I was told that my grandmother had a copy of the song on a 78 (which my grandfather had evidently gotten on a V-Disc in World Warr II). Picture the excited little tyke Rickster running up the stairs with the 78, tripping and breaking it. I was devastated; I had never even listened to it. Years later, my Mass Media college professor Dr. Denis Mercier gave me a copy of the 78 after hearing my story. Then more years later I found it on this cd! Yay!!!

Track Fourteen: Absolutely Fabulous by Pet Shop Boys
Not much to say about this one. Watching Ab Fab at Bishop's. Patsy's my hero! Pet Shop Boys did a song for the hit British TV show featuring soundbytes from Patsy and Edina. Fanulous, sweetie!

Track Fifteen: If White America Told the Truth For One Day It's World Would Fall Apart by Manic Street Preachers
Apparently when this song was released in the United States, the title was called " ' " which doesn't make any sense but HEY we must not offend those Americans, must we!!! "There's not enough black in the Union Jack and there's too much white in the Stars & Stripes" indeed.

Track Sixteen: A Forest (acoustic version) by The Cure
This spooky little tuney with the driving beat is an acoustic version of the Sure hit that appeared on a second disc of an all acoustic version of the greatest hits that appear on the first disc. I just picture a dark and spooky wood full of goblins and trolls (Hi Joey!) and witches and Mr. Fox who goes by the name of Reynardine and who tears young beauties to shreds when they venture into his lonely house in he woods. Brrrrrrrrr!

Track Seventeen: September Song by Lindsey Buckingham
Mr. Buckingham's first solo album featured the hit song "Trouble" as well as a couple of cover songs which I always liked a lot. This is one of them. Originally made famous in the thirties sung by actor Walter Huston (who won an Oscar for Treasure of the Sierra Madre), this is my favourite version of this standard classic. Lindsey's fifties-ish gentle rockabilly version has bite as well as heart. Nice. And yes, it's burned from an LP.

Track Eighteen: Wish Me a Rainbow by Astrud Gilberto
As a little tyke, I watched the movie "This Property Is Condemned" every time it came on TV. It starred Natalie Wood and Robert Redford and featured this song sung by Natalie Wood. The melancholy sadness of the song captured perfectly the Depression-era film. Years later, I found this version sung by Brazilian housewife Astrud Gilberto (who became famous overnight as the female vocalist on the original Jobim classic "The Girl from Ipanema". Her wistful, off-key vocal captures the essence of the song perfectly as well. 

Track Nineteen: I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself a Letter by Sarah Vaughan
This live track features the Divine One captured at famous nightclub Mister Kelly's in 1958. The concert is a pure delight from beginning to end and the CD includes the ENTIRE concert for the first time. This lightly swinging version is perfect for Sarah and a highlight of the gig.

Track Twenty: Moon River by Raul Malo, Pat Flynn, Rob Ickes, & Dave Pomeroy
It's not Audrey Hepburn. It's not even Morrissey. It's Raul Malo (of the Mavericks and Los Super Seven) performing the Henry Mancini standard with some buddies on the new country CD "The Nashville Acoustic Sessions". A terrific album of covers that also features versions of Blue Bayou, Van Morrison's Bright Side of the Road and the whacked-out old-timey gospel dong "The Great Atomic Power" which has to be heard to be (almost) believed. Maybe I'll put that on the NEXT mix CD I make??? [NOTE: this was never put on a follow-up mix!! Disappointed....]

Track Twenty One: Willow by Joan Armatrading
One of the best collections of greatest hits from one of the best singer/songwriters of the 70s, 80s, and beyond. This entire CD reminds me of camping trips with my friends Paul, Cheeks, Cindy, & Rob. This was one of the constant soundtracks to our yearly camping trips (along with Van Morrison & Bonnie Raitt and many others). I'll never forget the concert where Joan began singing Willow and the audience took the song over: they sang the chorus over and over and Joan watched silently touched. Magic moment!

Track Twenty Two: What's Shakin' on the Hill by Nick Lowe
Not only is this one of my all-time favourite songs, it is also one of my personal theme songs! For years, this song captured my life exactly: I sat watching everyone else enjoying themselves partying on the hill but I myself could never be invited to the party. I could only watch from a distance. Things have luckily changed for me since then but this song still remains one of the most deeply personal for me. This 1990 album won tons of critic awards but it is sadly unappreciated by almost everyone. One of my favourite CDs as well.

Track Twenty Three: Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall by The Ink Spots
I've chosen to end this CD mix with this song because I think it's fitting. The good times have to be balanced against the bad and we just have to accept the bad times with the realization that everything changes and things will get better. This song (which I loved since it appeared in the British TV series The Singing Detective) also features an incredibly young Ella Fitzgerald dueting with the kings of swing: The Ink Spots. I think this is a really nice way to end a CD mix. I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Liner Notes by Rickster - August 5th, 2004

No comments: