Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Vinyl Detective

Cerpts mentioned The Vinyl Detective: Written In Dead Wax a while back on his blog and I added it to my long list of books-to-one-day-read. Then I saw that the audiobook was available on my Libby app. It's a long book, though. Fourteen hours. So I pulled the trigger and put it on my July to-read bullet journal page. It started out okay but I struggled to really get into it. The lead gal was a bit snootie in the beginning and kinda turned me off. Then I decided to do what I did with The Goliath Bone and pick the actors who would portray the main characters. Instantly I saw Sarah Lancashire as Nevada, Idris Elba as The Vinyl Detective (he has no name but I think he seems like a "Mark"), and then Andrew Scott as Tinkler. Later I envisioned Clean Head as Gina Yashere, Michael Sheen as Hughie - the Scottish Welshman (I know Sheen is really Welsh but whatever, he can throw on a Scottish accent), Kiersey Clemons as Ree, Nick Frost as Stinky, Minnie Riperton as Rita Mae Polini, and Chris Hemsworth as Hans. (I may have misspelt the characters names bc I only listened to it, never saw the written page.) Once I imagined the cast on a picture perfect ITV series I easily got sucked into the storyline while cruising around on errands and was actually annoyed when I would reach my destinations and have to put it on hold. Oh and the narrator, Ben Allen, was pure perfection.

No comments: