Thursday, July 6, 2023

Alan Alda

The one celebrity that has remained a constant throughout my entire life has been Alan Alda; I’ve no memory of a time when I didn’t know him. As a kid it felt like M*A*S*H was on every weeknight in our house. My father really admired Alda's talent as an actor but more so as a writer of the many thought-provoking and brilliant episodes of the series. And let's not forget the absolutely perfect film, The Four Seasons. I, too, became instantly enamoured of this remarkably gifted man and began to think of him as the ideal fella. Tall, handsome, intelligent, funny, and someone you’d want to chat with and get to know. I love that he only has daughters and that he and his wife have had such a long-lasting and (seemingly) happy marriage. I do wish that Scientific American Frontiers was available streaming somewhere (there were a few I saw a while back on YouTube (I think) but I want them all!!!) because it's a fascinating series. The bottom line is Alan Alda is a wonderful human being, full stop.


(photos kidnapped from: biography - theguardian by Matt Licari/Invision/AP)

Top Ten Favourite Performances:

The Four Seasons
Same Time, Next Year
M*A*S*H
Manhattan Murder Mystery
And the Band Played On
Scientific American Frontiers
Everyone Says I Love You
Sweet Liberty
The Glass House
Never Have Your Dog Stuffed - audio recording of memoir, even though it's abridged!

BONUS: This lovely article by his grandson, Scott Alda Coffey.
BONUS 2; The Alda Clan
Elizabeth, Arlene, Alan, Eve, and Beatrice

No comments: