Friday, February 5, 2021

The Thorn Birds

I thought the copy I had of The Thorn Birds was inherited from my mother, but the bookmarker on the inside flyleaf from The Book Trader, back when it was on South Street in Philly, shows that I bought it on June 10th, 1996 with Lori for $5.95. Only took twenty five years to finally read it. I cheated though, and listened to Davina Porter read the audiobook. I knew of her work from her reading the Outlander series and she did a magnificent job reading all the accents and characters in The Thorn Birds. I didn't know much about the book except that all the Catholic ladies talked about it when I was a kid as the end all-be all book to be read. Then there was the mini-series with Richard Chamberlain. I knew it was about a priest and a younger woman and forbidden love but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is so much more than that. It's more about the lives of the Clearys, first in New Zealand and then in Australia. About the parents, the sons, Meggie, Father Ralph, Meggie's children, and all the moments that shape and make up their lives. It took me four full workdays to listen to all 26 plus hours and it was excellent. So glad I didn't dismiss it as just a love story, even though it is one and definitely counts as a great book to read as a Valentine treat. 

No comments: