Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Grief

As a lover of all things stationery, Emily McDowell (now Em & Friends) is my go-to site for unique cards for pretty much any occasion. This empathy card by author Elizabeth Gilbert is one of the best and sums up exactly what I would want to hear if I were grieving the loss of a loved one. That's what I think when I'm sending a card - what would I want to receive? I never send anything that would come across as self-fulfilling in any way or that would ring false. When my father died the one card that stood out was from a distant relative who clearly wanted to come off as holier-than-thou and speaking of my father as though they had a genuine connection, telling us that they look up to the heavens and know that he's an angel with God. (Barf.) It was clearly sent with the intention of making the sender feel better, rather than the ones who were truly suffering. It enraged all of us. This card, though, is pure perfection.

No comments: