Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Rockford Files


I've finally finished watching the entire series of this show and yep, it was as good as everyone said. I always knew of the show, but I was a kid when it aired and at the time I preferred The Brady Bunch over a grown up show like Rockford.

I absolutely adore the character of Jim Rockford. He's like Special Agent Dale Cooper - he's just perfect. Likeable, gallant, considerate, not violent until he's pushed, always looks dashing and handsome, quietly hilarious, and knows how to drive. I think what impressed me the most about this series is that Rockford is not constantly on the prowl. It's not a revolving door of women moving in and out of his trailer. The episodes are about the characters, their growth, and of course, the cases. He has love interests, but it's not a different lady each time. As a female, I really appreciate that.

Shows like Magnum, which I watched religiously as a kid, just didn't hold up well when I went back to them as an adult. Rockford is still good with solid scripts and damn fine acting. Seeing all those late 70s cars, appliances, and clothes filled me with a sense of nostalgia. It's wonderful. My favourite episodes are definitely Rosendahl and Gilda Stern are Dead and Black Mirror, and my favourite guest stars (and there were many) were Betty Bacall, Rita Moreno, and Bo Hopkins.

A few years back, Bishop and I were talking after the finale of Lost and what the actors might do next. Bish was a dedicated follower of Rockford when he was growing up and he had a great pitch for a reboot of the series. Bishop thought Josh Holloway should play Jim Rockford. After seeing the series, I agree, Holloway would have been perfection. With that gorgeous Georgia drawl, laid back demeanour, and beautiful smile, he'd make Jim Garner proud. I bet he'd look incredible behind the wheel of a '74 Firebird. Oh well...not meant to be.

(photo kidnapped from talesfromahungrylife)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

I never never NEVER watched cop shows as a kid. I was a comedy guy ... or horror/sciencefiction/fantasy ... or game shows...well you get the point. I never watched cop shows or detective shows per se.

However, I ALWAYS watched THE ROCKFORD FILES and loved it!

Star said...

The Rockford Files was in a class all its own!