Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Coming Attractions

Dontchya just love when you go to the movie theatre and see trailers for upcoming films that actually get you excited for their release? Last week I went to a late showing of The Drop after I got done work and there were three previews that look really, really good.

The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch is based on real life enigmatic genius, Alan Turing. Don't be too impressed, I only learned about this man after mentioning the film to my Brit pal, Anne. She filled me in on the man behind the code cracking. I do so love a tortured character, and when they are one that actually walked the earth, I find I love them even more.

I do so love me some Tommy Lee Jones. When I was in Antwerp earlier this month, I got a chance to stay up late and re-watch his directorial debut (feature film-wise, that is) The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. This film looks just as outstanding and I'm so looking forward to seeing Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones act side by side.
 

Years ago (ohmigod, eleven years ago???) I saw Gael Garcia Bernal in Dot the I - I think it was Pax (Bishop's husband) who recommended the film to me - and Gael was so good. I kept an eye out for any of his upcoming films and have yet to be disappointed. Now, it goes without saying that Jon Stewart is the cat's meow, so the combination of these two gentleman can only result in cinematic perfection.
 

(credits: The Imitation Game c/o ramascreen - The Homesman c/o en.unifrance - Rosewater c/o huffingtonpost)
(ps - The Drop was pretty good. Tom Hardy was excellent as Bob and played him beautifully. I had read the short story, Animal Rescue, and totally fallen for the character of Bob, so Hardy definitely lived up to my expectations. I'm still trying to figure out why it was set in Brooklyn and not Boston...)

No comments: