Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Town

Met up with Nicole last night in Philly to take our weekly walk and catch eachother up on things. It was still light out, so I decided to snap some photos of the old neighbourhood. After having traveled through Italy, I noticed once I came back to the States that my home town is really kinda hideous. Everywhere one looks it's nothing but Dunkin' Donuts, mechanic shops, fast food joints, and buildings that lack any character or aesthetic value. At first, it was a bit depressing to realise that my home is embarrassingly ugly. Especially where I lived in Philly and the place my family calls home. It's filthy and falling apart with trash in the streets and obnoxious, loud people shouting things that are frankly, a little appalling. A prime example - last night I'm in the back kitchen and I hear the 75 year old lady next door yelling at someone. She's watering her garden, sweet as can be, then all of a sudden she's calling someone an asshole and cursing up a blue streak. Nicole and I go out to start our walk and she informs us that some random guy just threw up in the street. Lovely, right?

Anyway, I've stopped feeling so depressed by how my old neighbourhood is basically a shithole and resembles a war zone and instead I feel a sort of comfort in the ugliness of it all. It may be a sewer, but it's where we grew up and it will always be home. Here are some shots from last night. Sadly, once summer kicks in, we won't be taking any walks since once the heat hits, the cockroaches are all over the sidewalks. Ugh, definitely my least fave thing about Philly. At least in Jersey all I have to worry about are spiders.

















No comments: