Friday, December 7, 2012

We Were Here

Add this film to my list of outstanding documentaries. I originally saw the title and thought of it as a proud chant from the community. Ya know, like, we were here - we were a part of this all. Then once the film began I felt it was more the voice of those who had passed - we were here, we may be gone, but don't forget that we were here. Needless to say, I was a wreck through the whole film. As someone who has always been out of place, in my teenage years I discovered the gay community and thought - that's where I belong. They were the underdogs and even though I wasn't necessarily gay, I felt such a kinship and connection to them. When we first had people come to my high school and speak about AIDS I knew this was my calling. I had to work with people with AIDS, specifically I wanted to work with people dying from AIDS. Alas, it was never to be. Medications have vastly improved and while AIDS is still a crisis, more people are now living with AIDS, rather than dying from, which is miraculous in itself. Although my dream was not realised, I'm grateful that this atrocious epidemic has gotten a little under control. I'm still very preachy about safe sex and getting tested but I'm not as involved as I was when I was younger. This film reminded me of Andrew, the handsome young man with AIDS who came to speak to my sophomore class. When asked if he still had sex, Andrew said, "I don't. It's a personal choice, but for me, I cannot make love with someone knowing that it may kill them." That always stuck with me. I shook his hand after and thanked him for speaking to us. I'd never met anyone who was gay and I never met anyone who was HIV+. Meeting Andrew had an enormous impact on me. Within three months he was dead. He was here and I have not forgotten his face.

(photo kidnapped from amazon)

No comments: