Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Pal, Jimmy Stewart

When I was a kid, like maybe nine or ten, my favourite movie was Rear Window. I loved Jeff and Lisa and the excitement of the murderous neighbour across the courtyard. I would wake up super early on Saturdays, creep downstairs, put in the VHS copy we taped from the telly, grab a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and settle in. If it finished and everyone was still sleeping, I'd start it all over again. I did this like every Saturday for at least a year. I take my obsessions very seriously.

Lord only knows how I got Mr. Stewart's fan mail address in 1985, but I did and I wrote him a fan letter, most likely on my super cool Garfield note paper. I didn't get a letter back, but I did get the lovely signed photograph you see above and it has been framed in my room ever since.

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

You, madame . . . you . . . with your weekly watching of REAR WINDOW (one of my top 10 favourite films) as a kid every Saturday morning . . . you . . . with your Honey Nut Cheerios and starting the movie over again if no one was awake yet . . . you . . . having the good sense and the gumption to write to movie stars when you were able -- something I never got up the nerve to do when Katharine Hepburn was alive . . .

. . . you . . . seriously are the bee's knees!!!