Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Songs from the Hi-Fi

In the late 70s and early 80s, when I was little, my parents would occasionally have lavish cocktail parties. The entire day leading up to these parties felt like the inside of a beehive. Mum was always buzzing around preparing the dishes that would be served, setting up the room, and selecting the evening's music. It is the music that brings me back to those years: The Jackie Gleason Orchestra, Johnny Mathis, The Letterman, Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Placido Domingo, and the soundtrack to Somewhere in Time.
My brother and I knew what was in store for us - hopping in our PJs and crashing out in our parents great big bed with a bowl of M&Ms while watching The Wizard of Oz or whatever was playing on the Million Dollar Movie that night. Watching, of course, on our old black and white 12" portable TV with the bunny ear antennae.
The few times I was able to sneak out and catch a glimpse of the action I saw all of my parents' friends; Ed and Joan, Ron and Nancy, Mark and Maggie, Karen and Rich. All of them were dressed to the hilt and in grand spirits. Nearly all the men would have a cigarette in one hand and a cocktail in the other. Everyone would be laughing and chatting and playing gently in the background was the music.


3 comments:

Cerpts said...

I don't know what's my favourite part of that story -- the description of you bundled into your parents room with a bowl of M&M's (now THAT's good parenting!) to watch the million dollar movie or the description of the Jackie Gleason Orchestra-laced cocktail party with Ron and Nancy. Ron and Nancy???? Presumably this is BEFORE they moved to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

Star said...

Oh it certainly was! Those parties PWH ('Post White House') were even more raucous then in the 70s, ifyou can believe it. That Nance could swill it down with the best of 'em - what a gal!

Cerpts said...

Must've been the wild abandon caused by the Jackie Gleason Orchestra. I'm gonna have to play some on the next Dark Forest!