Monday, June 29, 2020

May 2020 Books

Breakfast of Champions ¹ by Kurt Vonnegut - Eh.
Slaughterhouse 5 ¹ by Kurt Vonnegut - I loved this book after first reading it back in college so I decided to check out the audiobook version with Ethan Hawke as the narrator. He did a good job of it but I somehow remember being so blown away by it all those years ago. Now I just found it depressing.

Justice by Dominick Dunne - I just love this man's writing. He comes across as observant, as a man who listens, pays attention, and reports back to his readers all that he witnessed in the many court rooms in which he found himself present. I read this book somewhat out of order since I didn't want to read about Simpson. I decided to at least try and read the first article Mr. Dunne wrote that covered the trial. I was in my senior year of high school when Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman were killed and so I didn't really pay attention. All I remember was that Simpson came across as crazy and that he clearly murdered his ex-wife and her friend. The trial was everywhere and at the time all the grown ups would be talking about all the goings-ons in the courtroom. Names like Judge Ito, Kato, and the Brown and Goldman families were frequently overheard in conversations. To me it fell in to the category of politics - something "old" people talked about that wasn't relevant to me and my life. I do remember coming home to an empty house and turning the TV on and seeing when it was announced live that he had been found not guilty. Tears streamed down my face and I couldn't explain why. Reading Mr. Dunne's words and stories I can only think that from what I had gathered from conversations that swirled around me at that time, was that this person with the pathetic face on that television screen made me feel sad that he was getting away with it. That the families of those murdered did not receive justice. Like my father, I loathe injustice, and so did Mr. Dunne. This collection of articles made me sad and angry but I felt like it was a kindred spirit that conveyed these stories to me; someone who felt the same about the outcome of trials that went so terribly wrong. I am looking forward to my next collection of Vanity Fair articles, Fatal Charms and The Mansions of Limbo because it looks like there's some fun and uplifting reads and I get to skip over the trials of von Bülow and the Menendez brothers, since I read those already. Can't wait!

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: