Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Black History Month

I usually set up a project for certain months and February tends to be when I watch a romantic movie a day for 14 days and read love stories all month. In 2022 I spent the last half of the month watching a film each day that involves Black culture. This time I am spending 28 days reading books about the Black experience as well as focusing more on books by Black authors. I'm gonna try to do a post-a-day noting something that I am learning or a mini-celebration of all things Black. I know that this country is more than just one part of the human race but for now I want to focus more on expanding my horizons on one side of this mega-polyhedral die of a planet. 

Today I started off with finishing something a bit on the lighter side - The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell. I first discovered him from his face on one of the many shirts sold on Tees4Togo. When I discovered he was a feminist and had done a documentary about the women who had been raped/assaulted by that dreadful scumbag, I bought one of the tees and added this book to my Audible library as soon as it was released. Truth be told, I cheated and started reading this in January. But I finished it today so I say it counts! I really saw a lot of Bishop in Kamau and am really hoping this is not his last book. He's a brilliant, fascinating man and I genuinely adore him!

Post Script - Bishop was instrumental in helping me gather a list of new and exciting authors and books to check out, but this one was all me! 

No comments: