Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Black History Month Shows

I feel like this month in regards of the films I watched was a bit of a cheat. I primarily watched documentaries and there were a handful that I had seen before. I know if I watched Roots or 12 Years a Slave it would have had a serious negative impact on my mental health, more so than these films did. I know the horrors that were and continue to be visited on the Black community but watching, and reading as well, stories that only highlight the negative side of their lives would have been too upsetting. I therefore decided to learn more about real lives and people who left a mark on this world and on their community. Plus this was my little project for the month and I wanted it to be a fun and interesting experiment. 

The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks
Olympic Pride, American Prejudice
A Ballerina's Tale
The Black Power Mixtape
♥ Woman in Motion
Everything: The Real Thing Story
Through a Lens Darkly
♥ All By Myself - The Eartha Kitt Story
♥ Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am
* Brother Outsider
* I Am Not Your Negro
* The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman
* The 13th
* Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary 
* Lorraine Hansberry: Sighted Eyes/Feeling Heart 
* Affirmations (short film)
* Partners of the Heart
* The Evers 
* Black Boys 
* Ethnic Notions
W.E.B. Du Bois: A Biography in Four Voices
♥ The Gentle Giant (short film)
♥ Abbott Elementary
* Unmarked
* Freedom Flyers of Tuskegee

* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: