Wednesday, July 22, 2020

HBO Documentary Bonanza!

I signed up for a free 7 day trial of HBO and boy, oh boy, am I taking advantage! In one week I have watched:

Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind - The entire reason I signed up for this free trial was to see this. It was great to see RJ and Mart and hear stories about Natalie but I really wished to hear more about her life and not so much about her death. But I understand Natasha wanting to get it on record how she and her family feel about their mother's death, but I'd have loved more stories and anecdotes about Natalie.
Remembering the Artist: Robert De Niro, Sr. - I'm not a big fan of Robert De Niro's acting, but I am a big fan of the man himself. Whenever fellow actors speak of him you can't help but feel like he's one of the smartest, kindest men alive. I absolutely adored him for making a film to keep his father's legacy alive. I'd heard about this film a while back and was so glad I finally got to see it.
Larry Kramer: In Love and Anger - I've admired Larry Kramer since I first discovered him, most likely watching a documentary on AIDS or reading about the beginning of the plague. It's so sad that he is no longer here but this documentary is a reminder to all those who come after his death just who Larry was and for them to learn about his fight and pick up where he left off.
Going Clear - About Scientology from former members. Kinda interesting. Definitely not a faith (or whatever) I'm all that interested in, to be honest.
When I Knew - Just a short little doc about when random individuals knew they were gay. Not great but not bad.
Paul Robeson - Tribute to an Artist - Narrated by Sidney Poitier! Featured a bit too much of Robeson's singing, but I loved the interview segment where he spoke about starring as Othello. I love that story. I bet he was incredible in that role.
Diana, Out Mother: Her Life & Legacy - Another documentary I'd heard about back when it came out. It was nice to see Meghan's wedding gown up close and to see Princes William and Harry. I'm not hugely into the royal family but it was worth watching.
Bright Lights - I saw this when it first came out and took advantage of it being on HBO.
Billie Jean King: Portrait of a Pioneer - I just love this woman.
About Face: The Supermodels, Then and Now 
David Bowie: The Last Five Years 
Do You Believe in Miracles? - I had seen the Kurt Russell film about the 1980 Olympic US Hockey team taking home the gold and seeing a documentary about the real thing was just as exhilarating. I get all teary-eyed every time you see Craig ask where his father is in the crowd. Oh it's so good.
Everything is Copy - In October of 2018 I listened to Nora Ephron read two of her memoirs and thought she was just so clever and witty. Seeing this doc reminded me that I need to check out more of her writing.
Becoming Mike Nichols
If You're Not in the Obit...
Gloria: In Her Own Words - Growing up I always had the impression that being a feminist was a bad thing. Reading Gloria Steinem in my college years made me realise that I'm a feminist because I believe that women are equal to men as we are all members of the human race. I feel that more and more people are understanding that feminist does not mean man-hater. A wonderful portrait of a great, great woman.
One Survivor Remembers - This is Gerda Weissmann's story of her survival of the Holocaust. One moment that really stood out for me was when her family was leaving their home her father told her to wear her ski boots. It was June and she couldn't understand why she would wear heavy boots in Summer. Gerda explained that in those days one did not question or argue with their parents. So she wore those boots and later when she was forced to walk in the snow for days and days and days, it was those boots that saved her life. The end, when she is liberated by an American soldier who is also Jewish and who treats her with kindness and humanity was so beautiful. Especially when she said that his allowing her to walk before him, and treating her like a lady, was the beginning of her healing process. Oh, and they wound up together. Loved that.
Saving Face - About a doctor (Dr. Mohammad Jawad) who helps restore women's faces in Pakistan after they have been brutally attacked, often by family members, with acid. I was a complete wreck through the whole show and felt the pressure leave my chest when Pakistan entered into law that a life sentence is the punishment for the attacks. I'm sure if my father were still alive and saw this film he'd have declared, "that's not enough of a punishment!"
50 Children: The Rescue Mission of Mr. and Mrs. Kraus - The true story of a Jewish couple from Philly who went into Nazi occupied Europe to rescue 50 children and bring them to the United States where they would be safe. Two remarkable humans.
We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company - I, like pretty much everyone else, was blown away by Band of Brothers and fell completely in love with the actual veterans in those brief glances the audience saw. This documentary is a combination of all those clips and then some. Just a spectacular group of guys.
Queen of the World - About Queen Elizabeth.
Nothing Left Unsaid: Gloria Vanderbilt & Anderson Cooper - I read their book The Rainbow Comes and Goes last June and this film is a great companion piece. They seemed to really like one another. Not just love each other because they are mother and son, but really enjoy spending time together.
Mondays in Racine - This was a really uplifting doc about sisters who own a salon in Long Island and help women battling cancer by offering free spa treatments once a month. Just a superb group of ladies.
The Trans List - I really watched this because of Buck Angel, but it was still cool to see some other familiar transfolks and meet some new faces and learn their stories.
Montage of Heck - I wasn't sure about watching this doc on Kurt Cobain, but seeing Krist Novoselic I felt confident that it might be a decent film. (BTW, Krist has never looked better - dreamier than ever.) I loved the home movies of Kurt as a wee lil' man and of course with Frances. Definitely worth watching because it made me break out one of my Mead notebooks and start writing again.

No comments: