Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Discoverers

I'm a fan of pretty much the entire Dunne family. Well, the ones I know, at least. Starting with Dominique, then Griffin, followed by Dominick Dunne, then through him, Lenny and Alex, and finally Joan Didion and John Gregory Dunne. (But I'm only just now getting into John's work.) I saw an interview somewhere online with Griffin about an Indy flick he made a few years back called The Discoverers. It was available for freesies on Amazon Prime so woohoo! It's really good and what a fab cast - Stuart Margolin, who I only recognised because of his voice, Madeleine Martin (Becca from Californication), Cara Buono (Mrs. Wheeler from Stranger Things), Becky Ann Baker & Ann Dowd (two great character actors whose faces are instantly recognisable), and David Rasche, who is incapable of turning in a bad performance. He is always wonderful. Anywho, The Discoverers is the quintessential Indy film with it's groovy cast, quirky, awkward moments, real life conversation, and bizarro-world situations. Just a great, great movie, full stop. Griffin had me in tears when he kept dropping the f-bomb with his kids, trying to sound hip. I hit the back button a half dozen times and it never stopped being unbelievably funny.

(photo kidnapped from cinema)

No comments: