Saturday, February 23, 2019

Forest of the Subconscious

In September of 2010, Melissa and I discovered Forest of the Subconscious at Grounds for Sculpture which leads to my favourite piece in the entire place, Heart's Desire by Gloria Vanderbilt. Prior to entering, I instantly felt that I needed to record my walk and I'm so glad I did. (Please forgive the sketchy cinematography - it's very Blair Witch.)


Fashion designer and artist Gloria Vanderbilt and Seward Johnson collaborated to create the Forest of the Subconscious, considering every detail of the space, from its winding pathways and trees to the artwork to be included in this unique environment. The Seward Johnson Atelier enlarged one of Vanderbilt’s ‘Dream Box’ works from its original 12” cube to the 6’ work entitled Heart’s Desire that stands in the Forest of the Subconscious today. The area’s meandering pathways run between rows of weeping white pine trees and weeping Norway spruce trees. As the tree canopy grew in, an understory of shade plants was added to complete the scene. This garden opened to the public in 2008.

No comments: