Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Albums to Set the Mood

From my twisted, sad little mind I give you a Valentine's evening scenario and the music that should accompany a budding romance.

Scene: A strange but somewhat charming woman is seen in her home, clearly preparing for a romantic night with her new beau. She stands before her hi-fi, holding a vinyl record in her hands while talking to herself. 

I think I'll start the evening off with Somewhere in Time. It truly is cinema's most exquisite soundtrack. Ooo, is that a knock at the door? "Just a moment, here I come...well, hello! It's lovely to see you, too. Please, come right in, let me take your coat. Yes, it is frigid out there tonight! Why don't you have a seat by the fire. May I get you a drink? A gin martini? But of course, coming right up..."

While sipping cocktails near the hearth, the pair converse easily and are treated to the sounds of Nicola Conte's Bossa Per Due. It's nearly impossible to not feel a warm hum travel through your torso when this album plays. It instantly makes the couple smile and move a little in their seats to the rhythm of the music.

"It's about time for me to head into the kitchen. Care to lean over the partition and continue our discussion while I put on the timer for the (vegan) roast and set the table? Oh, would you be a lamb and light the tapered candles for me?"

Before tying her apron strings, our hostess puts on Music for a Bachelor's Den, skipping ahead a few tracks to Morris Stoloff's masterpiece, "Moonglow". 

The table is set, the dinner now ready, and the conversation in the kitchen has certainly turned up the heat between these two. Now it's time to move into the dining room. There's no reason to rush a romance and so in an attempt to cool things down let's bring out Donna Reed's Dinner Party, placing the needle on the second song, "Que Sera, Sera".

"So sorry, what was that? Who is this? Oh, yes, it's Doris Day. She does have a splendid, wholesome voice, doesn't she? I believe Andy Williams is singing the next song. He's another wonderful singer, don't you agree? Please, sit, darling, let's set our napkin rings aside and tuck in to this delicious looking feast. Could I offer you some wine? How nice of you to bring a bottle. This is actually from my favourite vineyard. Please allow me to make the toast...here's to many more evenings spent together just like this. Cheers! Mmm...this Cabernet is robust, isn't it? So aromatic and delicious... Let's begin, shall we? Would you be a dear and please pass the (Miyoko's) butter dish? Thank you. Oh these dinner rolls are simply divine, aren't they?"

Supper eventually comes to an end and that means that it is time for an after-dinner beverage.

"Oh, thank you, yes, I'm so pleased that the dinner was to your liking. I'm always a bit nervous with new recipes but it was good, wasn't it? Would you care for a cup of tea or coffee before dessert? Coffee? Wonderful. I won't be but a minute..."

What goes better with java than a little poetry? The soundtrack to Il Postino features famous voices reading the works of Pablo Neruda and concludes with whimsical instrumental pieces by Luis Bacalov. This album is the ideal backdrop for a transition from a savory meal to a sweet climax. While preparing the tray with cream and sugar the woman dreamily thinks to herself, Perhaps we will look longingly into each-other's eyes while listening to Rufus Sewell read Ode to a Beautiful Nude..."With a chaste heart, with pure eyes, I celebrate your beauty..."

After some delightful banter and more flirtation over a hot cup o' Joe and cappuccino, it seems just the right moment to indulge in some sweet morsels. What could compliment this more than the liquid caramel voice of Nat King Cole singing all of his Love Songs

"Well I don't know about you, but I am certainly ready for dessert. Could I interest you in some chocolate covered strawberries or perhaps a slice of Jewish apple cake? Maybe I could tempt you with chocolate mousse topped with whipped cream? I assure you it is absolutely scrumptious."

Finally having finished the last spoonful of dessert and feeling sated and satisfied, the next album is Remy Shand's The Way I Feel. The couple listen as he croons "All or nothing baby, is a feeling I know...Ooh this contemplation's turning up on its own...Oh your body's churnin', when livin' is rough...Well are you yearnin' or are you givin' it up..."

"Shall we retire to the den for chit chat and a pousse-café digestif? I have cognac, sherry...cognac? Perfect, I have a Courvoisier that's quite good..."

The woman pours two glasses and as she hands her dinner guest his snifter the first notes of Song for My Father from The Horace Silver Quintet begin to drift around the room.

"Please feel free to take off your shoes, loosen your tie, and make yourself at home. Do tell me more about this new merger you are working on...it sounds fascinating..."

Time slips through the hourglass. Dusk has become evening, evening slowly dissipates, easing into night. Now is the moment to put a little Johnny Mathis on the turntable. For when Mathis is on that can only mean one thing, time to get down to some red-hot necking. His album Open Fire, Two Guitars begins with one of the smoothest songs recorded by Mathis. He envelopes the room with his effortlessly lush voice, serenading the couple with, "Sitting on a cozy pillow...Poking ashes with a willow...Stirs a spark of old desire...". And if this evening goes the way they both think it might, let's bring it to a close with the intensely erotic Lost Highway soundtrack. 

In closing we the observers must take our leave, allowing these two some privacy as we wish them luck in their newfound love affair. 

No comments: