Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

When I first saw this film in 2012 at the Bala Theatre with my brother Wayne we left feeling thoroughly unimpressed, aside from Benedict Cumberbatch's stunning blue necktie. We felt like a couple of morons and understood nothing that occurred onscreen. Not long after this I was discussing Tinker Tailor with Anne. She agreed that she didn't like it either - the first time she saw it. Then she gave it a second look when it was streaming on Netflix and really enjoyed it. I decided to try once more, based on my love of Gary Oldman and the extraordinary cast of some of my favourite male actors: Ciarán Hinds, John Hurt, Colin Firth, and Tom Hardy. Plus I thought that one guy was so handsome. (Mmm...Mark Strong.) Oh, and I took notice of the 'Batch, who I would later see pretty much everywhere. 

What I now appreciate about this film, which I have since seen more than a half dozen times, is that it is smart and well made and if you are awake and clear and pay attention you will become engrossed in every frame and nuance. All the things that were at first odd and unusual suddenly fell into place once I focused completely on every detail; the little moments or quirks of the characters became like the folds of paper in an intricate origami swan. It is, quite frankly, a masterpiece and I'm eternally grateful that I was open-minded enough to give it a second chance. 



No comments: