Friday, July 10, 2015

Ms. Simone

I'll tell you what freedom is to me - no fear.  Nina Simone said this in an interview clip from the film What Happened, Miss Simone? and it is the perfect definition of the word freedom. Ms. Simone possesses one of my all time favourite voices, surpassed only by Karen Carpenter and Dinah Washington, however, I find that I listen to Nina Simone more than to Karen or Dinah. Nina's songs seem deeper, because they are. They tell stories and speak unbelievable volumes.

I do so love me a good documentary and What Happened, Miss Simone? was excellent. There was so much I didn't know about this fascinating and complex woman, and all the information was presented in a very pure manner; nothing seemed to be stated or shown to garner awe or shocked gasps. It was just an honest portrait of a performer's life, both the good and the bad. I genuinely enjoyed it from beginning to end.


(photo kidnapped from impawards)

No comments: