Thursday, July 9, 2015

Before I Disappear

(photo kidnapped from loser-city)

A couple guys at the office that know my taste in films had recommended this movie to me. I got a chance to check it out and they were totally right! A stand out performance from little Miss Fatima Ptacek, who SO reminded me of Kayla when she was younger. Especially the scene in the bowling alley. That was pure Kay.

Aside from Fatima's performance, the film was top notch and made me look up Shawn Christensen. Turns out he was in an Indy band named stellastarr* in the early aughts!! (I always sign my name lisa* and my nickname used to be Stella at an old job because my last name is Star. Only one r, though.) Clearly I raced right on over to iTunes to check out their sound. I listened to thirty seconds of Somewhere Across Forever and when he sang "blue eyes, blue hair" I clicked right on over to Amazon and ordered the album. See, this little star has blue eyes and at one time had blue hair. In my younger years...

Anyway, I really liked the darkness of the film, the neverending pending suicide of Richie, the side stories, the soundtrack, the dingy settings, the hopefulness, and the idea that one person on your shittiest day can completely change your perspective. Just awesome.

No comments: