Friday, July 24, 2015

I Heart Anita

Here she comes with yet another rave review of a documentary seen on Netflix... I'm sorry if this blog is becoming redundant, but Jesus, Anita was an unbelievably engaging film and deserves to be talked about. I remember, vaguely, when all of that was going on, but I was young and didn't really have an opinion. Now, at age thirty-nine and having been on the receiving end of sexual harassment in school, at work, and elsewhere, nothing that Anita Hill said in those hearings sounds over the top or unbelievable. The things that have been said to me have been equally, if not more so, ridiculous, absurd, and, always, offensive. Watching this film I was reminded of Kathleen Hanna when she said that if she told her story, all of it, no one would believe her. That it was too big a can of worms; but then she realised, no, other women would believe her. It's true, because I 100% believe Ms. Hill. Out of all of the times that I have been sexually harassed, I only ever spoke up was when the harassment expanded to include two of my coworkers who were significantly younger than I was. Luckily, my general manager was female and not only took me seriously, but telephoned the man in question, an assistant manager, told him not to come in for his shift that night, worked a double to cover his hours and then terminated him after discussing the matter with her superior. Looking back I realise the reason I never said anything on the other occasions is because it is so much easier to remain silent. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to see this documentary because it introduced me to Anita Hill, an erudite, poised, graceful, and strong woman who will be admired for generations for standing up and being heard and not taking the easy way out by remaining silent.


(photo kidnapped from impawards)

No comments: