Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Reboot the Machine

I'm on another juice fast/cleanse that begins July 1st and will go at least a week, perhaps longer. In order to get through a fast like this (I did one in January of 2013) I make sure to keep a clear schedule. Any friends or family members that I hang out with must realise that our time together cannot involve food. Thank GAWD I have Kat in my life. This is the only gal I know that will go to a juice bar with me and make it fun.


To keep myself motivated and strong I re-watch some fantastic and inspirational documentaries. Starting with the film that pushed me forward and on to my quest for better health, Joe Cross' Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Then I follow that with the sequel to that, aptly titled Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2. Other documentaries that keep my spirits up and on the right track are Hungry for Change, Forks Over Knives, and Vegucated. Vegucated is actually the film that convinced me to transition from vegetarian to vegan. In addition to these shows, I make sure to watch lots of funny movies and TV shows such as The Office US and UK versions, as well as Grace and Frankie. I need to keep laughing and feeling good.

I'm not as experimental as I was in 2013 when it comes to trying different juices. It's kinda expensive to buy all these veggies and fruits only to discover that I really don't like them. I pretty much juice Mean Green for lunch and dinner with apple juice for breakfast. I drink tons of water throughout the day, as well as some coconut water and bottled juices, like Suja Elements, Bolthouse Farms, and Evolution Fresh. I'm going to try my damnedest to stay on track but if I get weak and have an apple or whatever, I'm not gonna beat myself up or feel like a failure. That's the best thing that I took away from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2. It was when Dean Ornish said, "What matters most is your overall way of eating and living. If you indulge yourself one day, doesn't mean you cheated or been bad. Just eat healthier the next. You didn't have time to exercise one day, do a little more the next...The more you change, the better you get." That statement completely changed the way I view my eating habits.


Tomorrow it all begins and I think I'm ready. Seven days of no food and only juice. I can totally do this. In the words of Joe Cross - juice on!


(photo credits: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - fatsickandnearlydead - Mean Green juice - juicefast - Suja Elements - ehgrp - Joe Cross - everyconversationcounts)

July 6th - ps: Yesterday I stopped over Marina's to spend time with her and Mateo. While standing in her kitchen and chatting, Marina stopped, looked at me and said, "Oh my God. You look so thin!" (I'm down about 6 lbs. since we were last together.) I laughed and then Marina asked, in all sincerity, "Are you wearing a corset?" Um, with jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops? No, I was not wearing a corset. But oh man, what a hilarious response to all my hard work. One day left and I'm feelin' grand!

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

The best of goody-good-good luck! I've always wanted to try making juices (not going all out like you but simply for a meal once in a while) but I never knew what to make or what was good. Also the fact that I only have a blender and not a juicer might have something to do with it. I got J.J. Virgin's cookbook a year or two ago which has veggie juice/smoothie recipes but I never tried any. And again, I don't even know if a blender is sufficient. However, if you've got some yummy recommendations about things you think I could make, I'd sure love to receive some recipes (in an email if not here). I must warn you that I'm not looking for "sweet fruity smoothies" but was more interested in veggie juices or smoothies or whatever they should be called. That green one you have a photo of looks particularly smashing! Remember Dream Fields by the old Ritz where Terry tried to hire me as a Tarot reader? Well they had a juice bar and did something with (I think) lemongrass but I'm not sure - and I never got to try it sadly. Again, the best of luck with your endeavor and I would totally go along to a juice bar with you and Kat . . . if I only was awake during daylight hours.