Saturday, June 27, 2015

Orange is the New Black

I started watching this show back in August of 2013. I like it, I'm not hooked on it like a lot of people, but I do like it. I watch it primarily because of the beautiful cast of women. Women of various size, age, sexuality, race - and a variety of complexions within said race, from dark to light - and especially women that look real. Real women representing all females. It is unbelievably refreshing to see all of these ladies on one show.

The only cast members I knew of prior to seeing episode one were Kate Mulgrew (from Remo Williams!!!), Taylor Schilling (from part one of Atlas Shrugged which I did not like, but thought she was wonderful as Dagny), and of course Natasha Lyonne (from Dennis the Menace, Everyone Says I Love You, Slums of Beverly Hills, But I'm a Cheerleader, and Die, Mommie, Die!). However, since that first episode I have come to love Lea DeLaria as Big Boo, Laverne Cox as Sophia, Constance Shulman as Yoga, Barbara Rosenblat as Miss Rosa, and of course, Yael Stone as Morello. Oh, yeah, and I'm one of those gals that thinks Ruby Rose as Stella is un-believably sexy. Just absolutely stunning.

In particular, I like how each episode centers around a specific character, like on Lost. I think seeing Pennsatucky's background this season helped me to gain a different perspective on her and change my opinion completely. I never thought I would ever like her, but I genuinely do. I guess If I had to pick my absolute favourite character...I gotta go with Red. She's tough, but real and emotional and I admire the hell out of her. But honestly, all of the ladies, main cast and just some-of-the-time cast, are all outstanding and I'm definitely looking forward to season 4. 

(photo kidnapped from orange-is-the-new-black.wikia)

No comments: