Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day



Ever since I saw Lee Teter's Reflections in the summer of 1990, I knew it had to be mine. By Christmas of that year, it was. I was only just fourteen but there seemed to always be something about that particular war that held on to me and made my heart ache for everyone that was lost to and in Vietnam. This morning before we left for our Memorial Day get together in Abington, Zach looked at my framed print and said how much he liked it. It is the least talked about piece in my home because people either overlook it or are made uncomfortable by it. It was nice to have someone recognise its power and to think about how this day is about all the people that are no longer here as well as all those who left something of themselves behind so as to keep the rest of us safe.
(Hey, nephew Sean - we are missing you and thinking of you all the time and can't wait til your stupid deployment is over and you are back on land. Your wife needs a hug from her hubby!)

No comments: