Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sarah Jessica Parker

Ever since I saw her as Rusty in Footloose I knew she was someone to watch. I continued to follow her career throughout the Eighties and all the way to the now. I think she is genuine and strikingly beautiful. Every interview I have seen or read left me with the impression that she is a true and wonderful lady.

When Sarah Jessica created Lovely, I remember seeing her on talk shows discussing how much time and effort she took to get the perfume just right. Lovely is my signature scent. I wear it nearly every day and keep several bottles on hand as well as one in my purse. A few years following her perfumes, SJP started a line of clothes, Bitten, for Steve and Barry's. Marina and I flocked to the store and were terribly impressed with everything we saw. I was particularly impressed by Bitten's manifesto:

it is every woman's inalienable right to have a pulled-together, stylish, confident wardrobe with money left over to live.


I so admired her Fashion is Not a Luxury t-shirts and remember thinking, "Bravo, darlin'! A woman who is looking out for those that love high fashion, but need to pay their rent and fill up the gas tank." I still have a bunch of Bitten clothes, shoes, jewelry, and bags and actually, I'm wearing Bitten jeans this very moment. It was a solid line of clothing and as a consumer, I felt like she really put her heart into designing each piece.


When I heard she was back a-cobblin' I was extremely excited. A new line of SJP shoes? Oh, it's a dream come true! Then I saw the price tags. A hundred and ninety-five bucks for freakin' flip flops? Really? Really?! Four hundred for a pair of heels? Honestly, if I'm going to drop almost half a paycheck on shoes, I'm going for the real McCoy. Manolo Blahnik is an established and highly reputable shoe maker and I'd drop five hundred bucks on his shoes before I would anyone else. While I still love Ms. Parker, I'm super disappointed that she's left us working class gals behind.

(At least I still have my fabulous "Ruth Dunbar" shoes from the Bitten collection. As soon as I saw them I was immediately reminded of Holland Taylor's character from Bosom Buddies. They just called out to me. And they only cost $9.99.)
(photos of SJP kidnapped from kraftworks)

No comments: