Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Galveston

After watching True Detective a couple Sundays back I ordered Nic Pizzolatto's book Galveston. Usually I drag my feet through reading a book, even one I really enjoy. Especially one I really enjoy. I get attached to the characters and don't want it to end so I stop a few chapters from the finish line and don't go back to it for months. It took me years to finish The Color Purple. However, Galveston is a pure page turner. Made me think of the story my mum told me about The Other Side of Midnight and how she could not put it down and stayed up til one in the morning because she had to see how it ended. I used to only read nonfiction, but lately I've branched out and Galveston was one of those stories that is so vividly written that you can almost smell the mildewed carpets, feel the tension, sense the fear, hear the creak of those old pickup truck doors, and taste the salty coastal air. I'm sorry it's over, but, man, what a read.


No comments: