Monday, June 25, 2012

High Road to China

When I was six years old my mother and my Aunt Berne took me to see High Road to China in the theatre. From the very first frame I was completely in awe. It's such a beautiful picture and everything about it carried me away. From the music by John Barry to the majestic countrysides and continents that I'd never seen before; to watching the bi-planes swoop past snow covered mountains, or the clothes worn by Bess Armstrong, the warmth of Jack Weston as Struts, and of course, Tom Selleck - my crush at the time.

But the most remarkable moment in the entire film was the gorgeous statement: The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient. There is so much comfort in those words that even on this dreariest of afternoons, I feel a little better and begin to fill with hope. All these years later, it's still one of my faves.


(Post Script - There's a fantastic breakdown of the film and why it holds up so well and stands on its on against other adventure flicks on denofgeek.)

No comments: