Friday, June 15, 2012

Best Legal Route to Joy

The first thing that came to mind when thinking on this post title is one simple word: Marina. No one in my life knows me like she does. We are two halves and have been thick as thieves since 1997 when she called me at my parents' house and asked if I would be her Confirmation Sponsor. Marina, eight years my junior, was always one of my cutest and sweetest cousins and I always adored her, even though we rarely saw one another. From that phone call until today she remains the closest person in my life. We've had our down moments (usually my fault) but no matter what, Marina has always pushed me to communicate and work through things and it has truly made our relationship stronger. She's never given up on me; she believes in me and is always available with advice and encouragement.
Many of the best times in my life have been spent in her company doing very little. Whether it's eating pizza in a parking lot, talking on her sofa in Stratford or in Philly, driving around singing to Ani DiFranco, Phil Collins, or Fiona Apple, to watching The OC season 1 or Steve Martin in Parenthood or any number of hilarious films. And of course, laughing incessantly. No one makes me laugh like Marina and every moment we have together is easy and real and purely filled with a joy that should be bottled.

1 comment:

emily rose said...

best good morning ever - i love you so much!