Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Best Guilty Pleasure

Guilty pleasures are wonderful, aren't they? Happiness and shame all rolled into one. I had actually never heard of the term Guilty Pleasure until Bishop first mentioned it to me in the back kitchen in Summer 2001. We had the radio on and Sugar Ray's When It's Over came on. It needs to be stated that Bishop is and always has been a music snob and, as far as he was concerned, Sugar Ray was just a silly pop band. However, Sugar Ray broke through his icy demeanor and as soon as Mark McGrath started to sing Bish closed his eyes, smiled and said, "Oh....this is such a guilty pleasure."
So for me, guilty pleasures have always been tied to music. That being said, my ultimate guilty pleasure is Michael Bolton's How Am I Supposed to Live Without You. Great God, I have listened to that song on repeat for days. I love it like I love chocolate cake. I have only admitted this to maybe three people and each one has groaned and questioned with a bit of disgust, "You? Michael Bolton?? WHY?" One even had to seriously rethink our friendship, and she doesn't call or email much, so maybe she couldn't handle my admission. No matter what anyone else believes - this is an incredible song and I utterly adore it as well as the guilt that goes along with listening to it alone at night with the windows rolled up.

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

I have no comment to make about your mention of the Antichrist.

However, I do not myself believe in guilty pleasures. If it's something you like, why feel guilty about it? As can be seen on the header of my Dark Forest album blog, Louis Armstrong teaches us that there are only two kinds of music -- that which sounds good and that which sounds bad -- and if it sounds good there's nothing else to know. There's no reason we need to feel guilty about what we like.

Unless, of course, we were raised Catholic.

Star said...

which i clearly was...until, as george carlin used to say, "I reached the age of reason."