Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ewan McGregor

It was 1996 and Rachel, Winnie, and I were in Boston for absolutely no reason. We decided to hit the nearby theatre and check out Trainspotting. It was then that my love affair with this gorgeous Scotsman began. I so respect his ability to jump from one character into another that is the complete opposite. The Pillow Book, Brassed Off, A Life Less Ordinary, Little Voice, Moulin Rouge!, Miss Potter, Down With Love, Cassandra's Dream, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Amelia, and Ghost Writer showcase his ability to take on any role and make you completely believe his every word, his every movement. You never doubt that he is Frank Churchill in Emma or Curt Wild in Velvet Goldmine - he simply becomes that character.

It's easy to appreciate the man as an actor, but once I saw The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down I began to really respect him as Ewan McGregor, the man behind the roles he plays. He comes across as an adventurous, outgoing, kind, caring, decent person and seeing this side of him made me look up to him even more. As if that were even possible.

(photo kidnapped from scenicreflections)

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hey, I just wanna say that I can't agree you more :)
He is a good actor, and willing to try different roles! The first time I noticed him is at the movie Moulin Rouge, I was totally caught by his voice. I started to follow his movie since then.
Now I am expecting his new movie "Beginner."

Star said...

i always love it when people agree with me! i am also excited for Beginners - i think it looks really interesting - i can't wait to see him with chris plummer. thanks for the comment!