Wednesday, January 12, 2011

William Butler Yeats

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Even so many years after first reading this, I am still struck by it's simplicity and it's elegance. I know I am not alone in this feeling.

(photo kidnapped from lissadellhouse)

4 comments:

Cerpts said...

What a crappy poem! Lousy lousy! What is that, a Backstreet Boys lyric?!?! Geez!

Star said...

dude, it's totally Take That. the backstreet boys?? come on! what do you take me for??!

Cerpts said...

In that case, I completely understand. Robbie sang it while posing so its all good!

Star said...

yeah, he was never known for his dance skills. perhaps we'll see him on Dancing with the Stars next season! it's the only way anyone in the states will find out who he is. poor lad...