Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Preface to a Twenty Volume Suicide Note

Lately, I've been accustomed to the way
The ground opens up and envelopes me
Each time I go out to walk the dog.
Or the broad edged silly music the wind
Makes when I run for the bus...

Things have come to that

And now, each night I count the stars,
And each night I get the same number.
And when they will not come to be counted,
I count the holes they leave.

Nobody sings anymore.

And then last night, I tiptoed up
To my daughter's room and heard her
Talking to someone, and when I opened
The door, there was no one there...
Only she on her knees peeking into

Her own clasped hands.

~Amiri Baraka
March 1957

(If memory serves, I saw this taped on Cerpts' locker back in our days at The Hellmouth. I read it and immediatedly copied it down, cause it's so damn good.)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Anyone who tapes things to their locker seems like an unbalanced mind and you should probably keep well away from them!

Star said...

the same should be said to you since my own locker was lousy with robbie williams photocopies.