Monday, October 4, 2010

The Dark Forest Is Beat


"My name is Rickster Rick and you have now entered The Dark Forest. Crazy, Daddio. Crazy."
This was the 17th broadcast from The Dark Forest by my favourite pancake spinner. This particular broadcast included some of the show's most interesting tracks, the best of which was Jack Kerouac discussing the San Francisco scene of The Beat Generation. Other gems were bongo lessons from Jack Costanzo, Blues Montage by Langston Hughes with Leonard Feather, Lenny Bruce's Father Flotsky's Trimuph, Robert Briggs speaking of Dorothy Parker and Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Del Close with John Brent teaching us how to speak hip. The best songs of the evening were definitely Harry Nilsson's Remember (such a beautiful, haunting song), Julian Lennon's Space, Renzo Cesana's Roses and Champagne, and Marlene Dietrich singing Falling In Love Again. Rickster Rick gave us yet another fantastic evening that allowed the listener to drift back into those long gone beatnik days where the espresso was piping hot, the clothes were black, and the cigarettes were always burning.
(listening to this broadcast recently made me head right over to amazon to add del close and robert briggs cds to my shopping cart. the dark forest is beat makes me want more!!)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

I snap my fingers for you, I snap my fingers for you!

Star said...

oh how i do so love the sound of your applause, baby...