Saturday, January 23, 2021

December 2020 Books

A Christmas Carol ¹ by Charles Dickens - I started the month off right with Tim Curry reading Charles Dickens' classic.
* The Last Wish ¹ by Andrzej Sapkowski - Xavier recommended the Witcher series and I liked most of the short stories from this first book.

* Born With Teeth ¹ by Kate Mulgrew - I've known of Kate Mulgrew since the mid-eighties when my parents saw and loved the film Remo Williamss. Her career continued steadily but it wasn't until Orange is the New Black that I got to see how versatile an actor she is. Her memoir was gripping and well told but she seemed more a narrator of her life, rather than sharing it. Listening to her I felt that she was very removed from the telling, as if it happened to someone else. This was a bit distracting and odd, but still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

* The Good Body ¹ by Eve Ensler - I'd read this book years ago and decided to listen to the audio version for a refresher.
Peter Cushing: Past Forgetting by Peter Cushing - I was so sad to finish the last of Peter Cushing's two memoirs. I long for more! He was just a remarkable man. So easy to admire.
* The Hound of the Baskervilles ¹ by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Now I know why this is one of the most famous stories of all time - just brilliant. Derek Jacobi's narration was stellar and sucked me right in.

Sword of Destiny ¹ by Andrzej Sapkowski - Another from the Witcher series that I am finding that I increasingly dislike.
Kisses, She Wrote by Katharine Ashe I read this historical romance Christmas book years ago and since it's more like a novella, I like to re-read it every December.
My Life in France ¹ by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme - Back in 2013 I listened to the abridged version of Julia Child's memoir and this time I felt like I needed the whole story. Wonderful from start to finish.

* A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas - Another seasonal romance that's short and sweet and perfect for the holiday.
Season of Storms ¹ by Andrzej Sapkowski - I tried like hell to like this series since Xavier really loved the books but ugh, just not my thing.
Seducing the Highlander by Emma Wildes - Another book inherited from the Godmommy. It started out okay and then went quickly downhill.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: