Friday, September 4, 2020

Mrs. Wilhelm

On August 21st Donna's mother, Mrs. Wilhelm to me and MomMom to Kayla, Jaeden, Nicole, Ashlee, and Matthew, passed away after a lengthy hospital stay. Kay kept me posted via text and it was just awful knowing that, thanks to fucking Corona, no one could see her. Thankfully they did allow her daughter, Donna's half sister, Barbaraanne (see our selfie at cousin Miranda's wedding), to be by her side at the end. This morning the family was able to have a very limited viewing at a funeral home in the old neighbourhood. I loathe social gatherings but was so touched that the invite was extended to me, even though Mrs. Wilhelm and I are not blood related. I felt absolutely compelled to go to give out hugs and mask-kisses to Barb and Kayla. Mama Rosie went with because Mrs. Wilhelm was the long time receptionist at our family chiropractor's office. If my mother woke up with an ache or twinge, she would call the office and every single time, Mrs. Wilhelm would fit Rose in that day. 

So I bought black trousers to fit my (still) fat arse and borrowed a black dressy shirt from Marina and off I went. I got to see Sean, Ashlee, Avery, and Bailey for the first time in a while (I missed them so much!) plus MJ, Barbaraanne and her hubby, Jeff, followed by Kay and her wonderful boyfriend, Dan. I looked over Kayla's back to see Jaeden walk towards me wearing his adorable smirk with arms open and ready for a hug. I was stunned, as I really didn't think he would be there. His father drove them 16 hours up from Florida and it felt so good to hug him and hear him say he loves me and misses me. It was so nice to be able to give hugs and try to comfort my cousin and her beautiful kids. Mrs. Wilhelm still had so much life ahead of her and it absolutely sucks out loud that she's gone.

I am very grateful that our last couple of texts to eachother were scattered with smiles, love, and oven mitts.





No comments: