Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Jeffrey

(cast photo kidnapped from streamline.filmstruck)
One of my all-time favourite comedies since I saw it in 1995 is Jeffrey. The cast is out of this world and it wasn't until last week, when I re-watched it (with Ashlee) for the first time in at least 7 years that I took note of just how many famous faces flashed across the screen, some who were unknown back then.

Steven Weber - I really only know Steven from his role in Jeffrey, although at the time I knew that he was starring in Wings on telly, but I never watched that show. I thought he was superb as Jeffrey and to this day, that scene where he is auditioning for the role of the cop and busts in the door, karate kicks and his shoe flies off still kills me. I will double over laughing every time.
Michael T. Weiss - Known primarily for his hotness and his fab TV series The Pretender. I loved seeing his charming, sassy cameo in Sex and the City 2 - he was the only decent thing in that pile of gar-bage.
Bryan Batt - Talk about a dreamboat! I was so pleased to see him pop up a couple years later in Kiss Me, Guido and of course he was perfect as Sal in Mad Men.
Sigourney Weaver - She'll always be Dian Fossey to me. This woman can't turn in a bad performance. She is just beyond incredible.
Kathy Najimy - She stole the show in Sister Act and continued to do so in Veronica's Closet and most recently in Veep.
Nathan Lane - An icon, plain and simple, who has had me cracking up since Frankie and Johnny in 1991.
Kevin Nealon - SNL alum!
Olympia Dukakis - My fave credits include Tales of the City, Steel Magnolias (of course), Look Who's Talking, and Cloudburst.
Robert Klein - He's most familiar to me from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but check him out on iMDB - he's been in everything!
Christine Baranski - I loved her as Cybill's best pal!
Victor Garber - This fella has been in so many incredible projects and in Martin Short's book he spoke of what a nice guy Victor is, but I think I liked him best in Legally Blonde (he was such a dirtbag in that!), Argo, Milk, and the best, best, BEST was his guest appearance on Nurse Jackie.
Camryn Manheim - I knew she was in Ally McBeal, but I never watched it, so I really only knew her from seeing her as a guest on The Rosie O'Donnell Show.  In the episode she, knowing sign language, went as a buddy for a deaf woman who was fearful of getting a mammogram. Then I saw her in The L Word years later.
Ethan Phillips - A wonderful character actor whose face is instantly recognisable, but who I know best from his role as the lawyer in one of the best episodes of Pushing Daisies: Robbing Hood.
Patrick Stewart - The whole reason why I went to see Jeffrey was an article I read where he talked of how much fun he had filming it. He was absolutely brilliant as Sterling.
(PS outside Stonewall Inn - photo kidnapped from hornet)

No comments: