Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sidney Poitier

In the early 1990s my beloved grandparents, Thomas and Irma, vacationed in Orlando, Florida and stayed at the luxurious Grand Floridian Hotel. My grandad came back from their trip and told me that while walking through the hotel's lobby he saw actor Sidney Poitier. I would have been spellbound, starstruck, gobsmacked. Not Grandpa Tom. He walked right over and shook Mr. Poitier's hand and told him how much he admired his acting and the profound affect that he has had on their generation. As I stood listening to this story with my fourteen year old jaw on the floor, Grandad stuck out his giant hand and said, "Shake the hand of the man who shook the hand of Mister Sidney Poitier!" And I totally did.

The legendary Sidney Poitier...
...to Grandpa Tom...
...to Mii! Booya!! One degree of separation.

4 comments:

Cerpts said...

Your grandpa rocks the sox offa most everybody!!!

Star said...

He was seriously the coolest of the cool. Miss him dearly...and btw, those sox that he would rock, would definitely be argyle.

Cerpts said...

Um.....I have one degree of separation between me and Lucky Luciano. Does that count fer anything???

Star said...

really??? do tell!!